Jan 2, 2008

New Book New Disaster

First new and complete binding in over two months and, of course, I should have expected it, it was a complete disaster from the get-go. First, let me describe the vision of the book I had in my head before reality came crashing in on the party. The cover was wood with a carved exploded box outline in darker wood. Very stylish. That part turned out as expected: good. Only problem: it was on off-size - no normal piece of paper or even a normal piece of paper folded over fits this cover. No problem, I cut.

The coptic binding was to be done in a color that matched the exploded box on the cover. In that I managed to succeed. However, I ran out of thread and my weaver's knot came undone not once but twice, I ripped the paper on the last hole in the last signature and visually the thread is ugly when viewed from the side. And from the front. And from the back. 
This binding is doomed to be ripped apart and redone in the near future.

Meanwhile, my first hard-bound book sits waiting for me to finish; actually, it is being pressed and glued as I type. Tomorrow, I will start attaching things where things need to be attached. As a cover, I'm using an old obi belt cloth with a sunburst pattern that I bought at a flea market a few miles from here. As this is my first hard-cover binding, I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst. Whatever it is, it will be a learning experience.

No comments:

Art Blog Directory