Jul 15, 2009

Bookbinding Tools

I like this photo from Mitsubachi (from Flickr, of course. Where else?) because it looks so organized and uncluttered. Completely alien to my work space. On this table you can see scissors, brushes (for glue?) a bone folder for folding, a ruler to use as a straight edge, and the back, front, and spine of a work in progress, a jar of water and a cup of, I'm guessing, coffee? And a ghetto blaster on an old fashioned steam (?) radiator.

The reason I'm showing you this is to show you the essential tools a bookbinder needs. Not much. Besides what's in this picture, I'm guessing Mitsubachi also has some needles and tread. The main thing you need if you're going to bind books is space to lay all your stuff out and time. Lots of time. An amazing amount of time. 

Enjoy your time!

No comments:

Art Blog Directory