Feb 29, 2008

The Leap Day Book

A coptic-bound book with wood covers, yellow and white paper, and waxed green hemp thread and eleven signatures of six sheets each (264 pages) was my leap year book. And only one mistake (well, one big mistake.) I missed a loop between signatures. A big mistake. It probably would have looked like 'art' if I had missed one or two loops or missed it in the middle, but this miss was on the bottom edge and looks very much out of place, thank you very much.

It is, however, one of my better efforts: the green hemp thread blends well with the yellow and the alternating yellow/white signatures gives it a bit of flavor. The wood covers are a cheap wood that look much better after varnishing. It is called The Leap Day Book and is dated, naturally, Feb. 29, 2008.

I'm also in the process of making a box for it with a sliding lid. The sliding lid will have a rope handle for pulling and I'm thinking of sewing a rope circle on the front of the book and a rope line or two on the back. The box will be nothing like a clamshell box and more like a, well, I don't know. A chest? A tea box?

Unfocused but you can almost see the yellow and white papers (the yellow is an insert only, not completely yellow.) One sewing station seems to be on the diagonal. Only because the book is standing up right and listing to port. No problem.

While waiting for the varnish to dry I'm designing the cover for my first edition. I put together a book called "Bob Dylan Thomas: The Poetry of Bob Dylan & Dylan Thomas." I have three copies made - all three without a cover and it is this cover I am working on. At only seven pages (28 when folded) it doesn't seem to call for a full wooden-covered-coptic-binding cover. More like a pamphlet but I'd like it to be more than a pamphlet so I'm thinking about it. Fortunately, these will never sell - I don't want to take money from the mouths of Bob and Dylan's heirs. They are destined to be gifts.


Photo to the left is another shot of the Leap Day Book. Once I recharge the battery on my camera and learn to focus, I'll post more. Down at the bottom you might just be able to see the missed loop between signatures. I still think it looks a bit like 'art.' An artistic blemish that adds it a bit of character, eh?

Next up: My first edition (sounds like a musical group, eh?)

No comments:

Art Blog Directory