Mar 11, 2008

The Condition of my First Edition

Minus Kenny Rogers, I decided to make more than one book - an edition of three! 

First, I reformatted an earlier work: The Poetry of Bob Dylan Thomas. 

The cover folds back on itself and the tab is inserted in the back. On the left side are lyrics from Bob Dylan songs and on the right at poems by Dylan Thomas. Hopefully, the two poems have something - however faint - to do with each other. For example, All Along the Watchtower is matched with Ears in the Turrets Hear.




I printed out the revised version, folded it in half and then set about looking for an appropriate binding method. After first looking at all sorts of hardbound books, none of which would fit this rather slim folio (about 30 pages), I settled on a folded-back folded-over cover and, having invested in two large sheets of yellow paper, made the covers yellow. 

This is a first in two ways. First it was my first edition (albeit small at three), and my first folded cover. As such I must give myself a C+ but a definite B+ for effort. I learned that the third one is the better attempt: two times to practice, so to speak, and the third one seems to work out all the wrinkles. I folded a fourth cover but I was tired of the procedure, so I really messed it up. Also messed up was the cover. As you see from these photos: I need a cover artist!, that's for sure.
Also coming up, photos of a book box for the Leap Day Book. A very difficult to put together box but it was my first (and probably last) complicated box. 

No comments:

Art Blog Directory